We abuse our joints! We spend all day at a computer, driving and not moving enough. We don’t stretch enough, we twist and turn in ways we were never meant to move and we carry too much weight. Who among us hasn’t experienced pain in our knees at one time or another? By using proper body mechanics, moving the way our bodies are designed a surprising amount of that pain is optional.
Our knees are designed to bend but not to twist. There are few different things we can do to try and maintain the health and function of our knees. The big thing is to use them correctly.
Here are a few things you can do:
- Be sure to walk with your feet forward rather than cocked in or out. If you’re not careful to twist your leg from the hip it will wear down the knee a little at a time until it becomes a larger issue.
- When sitting in one place for a long time, move periodically and try not to torque your knees for any length of time. Muscles and tendons get stiff when they are still for long periods of time.
- Keep your quads strong. These are the muscles on the front of the thigh. What some people may not know is that they wrap around the knee cap. By keeping these muscles strong you add some stability to the joint.
- Keep your hamstrings and quads stretched. These muscle groups flex and extend the knee, keeping these in good health keeps your knees in good health.
- If you need to turn quickly, pivot on the ball of your foot instead of the heel. Turning on your heel will drag the leg around and the only joint that absorbs the twist is the knee. By pivoting on the ball the ankle which has more ability to safely rotate can absorb some of the shock.
Keeping our knees working helps to keep our bodies moving and keeping our bodies moving keeps us healthier for longer. If you’re already experiencing knee pain acupuncture & massage can help by keeping you stretched & with minimal pain. Schedule an appointment today to keep your knees in good shape!