Okay, maybe squash doesn’t have superpowers… it does however have a lot of nutrition, flavor and variety. Butternut, spaghetti, pumpkin and acorn squash are just a few of the different types, and all of them have different textures, flavor and uses. Even with the differences in type there are a few common benefits.
- Naturally sweet – so often when we have cravings for sugar what our body really wants is something naturally sweet like squash or sweet potatoes
- Low fat – even though squash is very filling it’s also low fat
- Promotes good digestion – squash is rich with dietary fiber
- Boost immune response – vitamin C
- Prevent heart disease – carotenoids may not be something we hear about everyday but it is a great thing that helps prevent heart disease and gives food its orange color
On top of the nutritional benefits it can be delicious. Here is one of my favorite recipes. Give it a try, make it your own and enjoy your versatile super powered squash!
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 2 cups butternut squash (pumpkin works well too), peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lg onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 5 cups warm vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Steam the squash until soft. Mash with a fork of puree in a blender
- Add oil to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice. Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the oil, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot vegetable stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until the vegetable stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the remaining vegetable stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed. Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy. Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.